Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dr. Seuss Photo Props!


Does your child's class celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday?

If so, here's a quick and easy craft that's sure to add some fun to this special day!

I made these 'phun' photo props in about 30 minutes using nothing more than some cardstock, sharpies, scissors, glue and chopsticks!  And since you likely have most (if not all) of these supplies around your house, this project was not only quick and easy, it was also FREE!

I like that!

There are certainly lots of creative, crafty sellers on Etsy with downloadable photo props, but I decided to make my own, in part because I wanted my hair for Thing 1 and Thing 2 to be larger than a standard sheet of paper (8.5 X 11), and I figured I could freehand some crazy hair as well as the next person.  I also wanted to make some green eggs and ham for my own little Sam I Am (aka Snacks) and I didn't see any of those on Etsy.

I will also say that while these photo props may not be professional, they are what I call 'preschool perfect.'  In other words, they weren't made to last forever, but they are sturdy enough to get through a day of picture taking in pajamas - 'cause that's how we celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday in these parts!

Hopefully I will have Here are a few pictures of my little guy using the props for you later this afternoon, but for now,  and here are a few tips for making your own 'preschool perfect' photo props!
  1. HAVE FUN!  That's what Dr. Seuss is all about!
  2. Don't stress if they aren't colored or cut perfectly - the kids will love them anyway!  Personally, the bit of white around some of the cutouts just adds to the cartoon-ish nature of the Dr. Seuss props in my opinion!
  3. If you're making something fairly tall or wide, double your cardstock to give it extra stability.  I did this by simply gluing two pieces together before cutting them out.
  4. Chopsticks are FREE and are the perfect length for kid-sized photo props.  We used chopsticks at Sheep's Valentine's Party, and I swiped the extras thinking I would make photo props later.  Who knew it would be so soon?!
  5. In addition, glue a small strip of cardstock over the chopstick after securing it to the prop to give it more surface area and keep it from separating from the prop so easily.
  6.  Make sure to alternate which side to attach your chopsticks to on the props.  For example, I attached the chopstick on the right side of the bow-tie and the left side of the hat so that the same child can hold both at once if they want to.

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Sharing this sassy project at some or all of these great parties: Under the Table and Dreaming, Totally Overflowing with Creativity, Three Mango Seeds, Classy Cutter, Serenity You, House of Hepworth, Skip to my Lou, LadyBug Blessings, Nap Time Creations, The Style Sisters, Polkadots on Pararde, Rae Gun Ramblings,Costal Charm, Not Just a Housewife, Domestically Speaking, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Sumos Sweet Stuff, The Gunny Sack, Gingersnap Crafts, Southern Lovely, Lil Luna, Someday Crafts, The NY Melrose Family, The DIY Dreamer, The Blackberry Vine, Homeworks, The Rustic Pig, Cornerstone Confessions, Kathe with an E, House on the Way, PJH Desgin, Glued to my Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Seven Alive, Made in a Day, Live Laugh and Love, A Creative Place, Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson, Home and Gardens, It Happens In a Blink, I Gotta Create, Domestic Super Hero, All Pretty Things, Katie's Nesting Spot, 52 Mantels, Truly Lovely, Twinkle in the Eye, Happy Hour Projects, Six Sisters Stuff, Tutus and Tea Parties, Mop It Up Monday, Saturday Show and Tell, Moonlight and Mason Jars, The Scoop, Wow Us Wednesdays, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Share Your Stuff Tuesdays

3 comments: